Academic Advising and Permissions

Academic advising is provided by the academic departments. Some situations may require permission from the instructor, the department, or the College of Graduate Studies before you will be able to register.
  • If you are unsure that you have met the course prerequisites, contact the instructor.
  • Instructor and College of Graduate Studies permission is required for non-degree students to register in 500-level courses. Students must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • Graduate students work with their advisers to design their study plans and select courses that fit the plans each semester.
  • Students who are working toward an academic certificate must consult with the certificate coordinator before beginning their coursework.
  • Instructor permission is required to audit a course.
  • Instructor permission is required to take a course pass/fail (unless the course description lists the course as P/F).
Inform the instructor, department assistant, or College of Graduate Studies staff member that you intend to register for an Engineering Outreach section and provide your name, student ID number, and the CRN so the prerequisite or permission hold can be overridden.

Visit the EO instructor directory for contact information.